Monday, May 12, 2014

Here I am VICE - A Republican that believes in Climate Change

Well here I am.  A true rarity I guess.  I am a Republican that believes in man-made global warming.  First let me say I am well educated and very solidly a comfortable middle class citizen.  I have a finance degree from Texas Christian University still living in the state of Texas.

I believe in all the tried and true Republican ideals.  I believe in working and earning one's way in this country rather than relying on government.  I believe we are responsible for own life and would never dream of taking a government handout for something I did not earn.  However, I also believe in the scientific facts of global warming and that we are contributing to its acceleration.

I recently watched an episode of VICE on HBO in which a segment focused on the drought here in Texas.  I enjoyed the facts VICE presented as they interviewed Texas farmers affected by the lack of rainfall and I enjoyed the trip down to Lake Travis in Austin showing the falling lake level there.  VICE interviewed many people on the show that did not believe in climate change for one reason or another.

All fine and good.  We are all entitled to our opinions for sure.  The problem I had with the segment was when VICE presented the other side.  Instead of finding articulate, intelligent people to present why they feel human activities such as burning fossil fuels is helping to contribute to the change, VICE instead went to some whacko Christian preachers throwing rice off a cliff asking for rain. 

Seriously?

There are Texans like myself that do believe in global warming.  Nope VICE could not find anyone of such an opinion.  Instead they focused on some knuckleheads that are on the fringes of society.  Fair and balanced?  Not so much, but as I have written before if Bill Maher is involved it will rarely be fair at all.  Maher is about as crazy left as you can get.

Oh well.  I shall just sit here in Texas as a true rarity I guess.  A solid Republican who also believes we are making major contributions to climate change and global warming!

No comments: